The element of Metal expresses itself through the Season of Autumn
Symptoms involve the Lung and Large Intestine (Guts) Meridians
- Out of Balance
- Physical symptoms: frequent colds, cases of flu, respiratory problems such as asthma, sinus pressure, and infection. Constipation, diarrhea, leaky gut syndrome, colitis, and irritable bowel syndrome also fall into this category.
- Mental Symptoms: codependency, indecisiveness, hoarding, over-criticalness, and boundary issues.
- In Harmony
- The energy of metal is about setting parameters or boundaries, in a way that allows us to take in what we need, and let go of what no longer serves us. As in the season of autumn, we are shedding our leaves, clearing out the old, and letting go.
- The strength of our immune system is based on this ability, for our pores to open and close when needed, for our bodies to separate out and eliminate waste on a daily basis. It is also about harvesting and recycling, decluttering to make room for new growth.
- Food as Medicine (Phosphorus)
- Anything slightly spicy: Basil, cinnamon, cloves, turnip, watercress.
- Or cool and watery: cucumbers, celery, cabbage, cauliflower, pears, peaches, blueberries, sunflower seeds, almonds, turkey, white fish.
- Self-care Activities
- Paying attention to how we deeply we breathe, how often we hold our breath.
- Abdominal breathing, abdominal massage, bicycling, aromatherapy, smell the roses, choose variety.